What questions should a parent ask when their son/daughter is about to transition from school to community?
This a question on the minds of many parents as schooling comes to an end. Anne Kresta from Winnipeg has prepared a list. Here are some questions that are top priorities when planning for a transition from school to the community as an adult.
- When should planning begin?
- Who should be involved?
- How can we support our son/daughter through this process and into adulthood?
- What do we, as parents, need to do?
- What are some of the options that are out there for our consideration?
- What is my son/daughter eligible for in terms of support from different service providers when they become an adult?
- Who makes the decision about which pathway to graduation my son/daughter will take?
- How long can my son/daughter remain within the education system receiving their supports?
- How can we, as parents, make sure that our son/daughter remains a part of their community once they graduate?
- Who is responsible for planning the transition from school to the community?